Where to search for inspiration? Where do good ideas come from?
My best place for inspiration is in the shower! I have solitude there. The outside world is blocked; the phone doesn’t ring, the radio isn’t blasting, and I can barely hear the kids trying to kill each other!
The caressing drops of water gently massage knots out of my shoulders and ideas out of my head! The scorching heat (I do like it hot!) relaxes my spirit and my mind can just glide along with my thoughts.
I’ve always loved long, hot showers for this reason. It drove my dad (and siblings!) nuts and it drives my husband crazy too! But, it’s where I do my best thinking, so I will continue to do it. Sorry water meter!
I used to sing in the shower a lot too when I was a kid. Not so much anymore, but I do notice that many times, I can hear my daughter belting it out in there and it always makes me smile 🙂 – she is so like me!
Where else do I get inspiration? There are a “shower” of places:
- listening to music – says the girl who constantly puts music videos into her posts! 😉
- going for walks, especially in the quiet country side – don’t do that often enough anymore
- listening to my children laugh down the hall from my bedroom door
- my husband! especially long talks while we’re driving
- reading great writing and aspiring to be just as great
- my best friend – she inspires me to be who she thinks I am 😉 when I really just want to be more like her
- creating and sewing with beautiful fabric – especially if it’s for someone I care about
- sipping an ice cold beer on a hot night sitting around the campfire looking up at the stars
- helping people solve problems – I love it and it inspires me to do more
- Christmas – because it brings out the best in people when it’s not about the gifts
- My parents – how I try to be what they know I can be
- Riding my bike – all I can hear is the wind in my ears and the miles (and worries) just disappear and I am free
- Writing my blog, when even just one person reads it and I can help them, even just make them think, that’s truly cool!
- A hot cup of coffee with a friend, laughing until our guts hurt!
- Late night talks with my oldest, who will still give me a hug and call me when he needs me (and doesn’t care if his friends think it isn’t cool!)
- Curled up under a blanket with my nose in a book while the snow falls outside and the house is quiet because everyone is doing the same thing
- So many more, but I won’t bore you!
What inspires you? How do you keep those ideas and great thoughts coming to you?